Thursday, 19 January 2017

Fetlife Fallout

I'm still active, just mainly on tumblr these days, still. This was a post that I thought important enough to post EVERYWHERE that I made in response to Fetlife's 2017 deleting of all groups with "Hypnosis" in the title, including a small one of my own and several HUGE hypnotic hub sites run by friends. 

In case anyone missed my comment from Page 31 of the Fetlife discussion. 

I’m echoing a lot of what ZanyM, Mephki and HypnoMaestro and others have already said, but whilst I have a voice, I think I should use it, even if it’s just to agree. (Oh, the bondage deaths and rape fantasy talk is all me. Yee! :o|) 

https://fetlife.com/groups/311/group_posts/10326706 

@JohnBaku Thanks for communicating with us. I don’t know what you’ve had to go through, so I apologize if my comments lack understanding as to the scope of the problem. You’ve made a great site that’s been wonderful for community building. It’s lead to a lot of people safely discovering that they’re not alone in their kinks. It’s also been great for community policing. Some of the most intelligent, morally sound and ethical people I’ve met have been community leaders here. And many of them have just had their groups deleted. 

Silencing thousands of people and deleting hundreds of groups isn’t going to help anyone thrive. 

If you have to do this in the short term, please make sure there’s a way to recover from it. 

This is no guarantee that credit card companies will allow you to process payments again. Nor is it any guarantee that the groups pressuring the credit card companies won’t lobby to move the goalposts again in a year or two. 

These groups don’t just want hypnosis and edgeplay gone. They want all non-conventional, non-PC, non-religiously acceptable activities gone, and if they can’t shut you down in one fell swoop, then they’ll try to kill your site with a death by thousand cuts. 

♦ This time it’s hypnosis…
♦ Next it’ll be bondage and breath-play…
♦ Then it’ll be spanking.
♦ Then they’ll stigmatize polyamory, open relationships, and swinging. 

Not to kink shame, but misadventure due to bondage and breathplay has caused life long injuries and in some cases actual deaths when carried out by clueless amateurs. I know the people of Fetlife have been instrumental in the education of newbies in how to carry out such scenes as safely as possible. If Fetlife wasn’t here for them simply as an educational resource and networking hub, I can guarantee there would be more of that. 

Google the #1 fantasy amongst most women and in most cases it’ll be reported as “Rape Fantasy”. Are those women going out and getting raped? No. If they ever do play with it, it’s hopefully in a much more safe context. Can consenting adults now discuss the most common fantasy in the world on the biggest fetish site in the world? No. If something is consensual and legal then why should talking about it be stigmatized? 

You have a site with five million members. You have lawyers. Odds are, plenty of site members *are* lawyers. Fun, intelligent, kinky people want Fetlife to thrive, so ask the five million for help. 

Start a GoFundMe, go down the Patreon route, Have your lawyers draw a line in the sand and keep talking to us. Help us help you fight this.

1 comment:

bdbraaten said...

Looks like they've moved to youtube as well.

I received an email this morning that my hypnosis playlist had been removed